Ontario Realtor License Parking – Frequently Asked Questions

Who can park the license?

Any Ontario Registrant/ real estate licensee, living anywhere in the Canada or the world with an active, an inactive, or a new licensee can park the license.

Do I need to have Errors and Omissions insurance?

Yes, since your license is still active and current as per RECO, so it’s required. The necessity of parking with an brokerage for a registrant is to keep license up to date.

Do I still need to take Continuing Education courses?

Yes. It’s a requirement of Real Estate Council of Ontario. Although you do not actively practice real estate while in a holding company, you still need to maintain an active licens.

 Can I go back to being a full-time agent?

Yes. Parking your license can be temporary or long-term. You can switch back to an active Sales Representative, or Broker status at anytime.

If I want to resume my real estate activities, how do I reinstate my registration?

  • You can submit the registration application (New/Reinstatement: Broker/Salesperson) form to RECO for reinstatement, if you are less than your 2 years of termination date
  • You must submit a current, original Criminal Record Check/ Police Clearance if you are terminated in excess of 60 days.
  • If your reinstatement is within a 2 year period from the date of termination, then you are not required to re-take the pre-registration courses.
  • You will still be required to complete the mandatory continuing educational courses.

……read more

Can a brokerage pay commission or other remuneration to an unregistered individual or entity?

Absolutely not. Any commissions or remuneration paid out from the brokerage must be payable to the registered individual.